Last week in Part 1 of this series, we began to discuss what teachers are really doing this summer in addition to or in place of well-deserved rest, relaxation and recharging. Assessing classroom procedures and improving/creating lesson plans are just a few of the items on the list. Let’s explore more:
- Collaboration: There never seems to be enough time during the school year to collaborate, brainstorm and share ideas. Summer provides opportunities for collaboration among team member and also in online communities.
- Professional Development: Time is spent learning through classes, webinars, seminars, etc. Many teachers also lead professional development opportunities for peers and others throughout the summer. Teachers know there is always more to learn!
- Familiarization: Each year brings curriculum and technology changes to the classroom. Many teachers will spend time this summer studying newly adopted curriculum and learning the ins and outs of new hardware and software for the classroom.
- Classroom Environment: A great looking, functional classroom does not magically happen before the first day of school or certainly by an early open house. Classroom setup also does not usually happen during the pre-planning period which is usually full of meetings, administrative duties and other commitments. Teachers spend the summer preparing and setting up all the components that go into the magical classroom that welcomes all students at the start of the year.
- Summer School: Let’s not forget those dedicated teachers who spend their “time-off” continuing to educate students throughout the summer, either in summer school, camps or other venues.
So the next time you hear someone say, “Gee, it must be nice to have summers off.”, tell them all the things teachers are really doing during the summer! Teachers are heroes who are busy pouring their hearts into education just as much during the summer as during the school year.
The services we provide at Charter CFO allow you time to focus on the academics of your school while we worry about the rest. Contact us today for a consultation.